Monday, September 14, 2015

A few pages of Habermas On The Public Sphere (for class)...I guess I see what all the fuss about him is about now. Not bad.
Like   Comment   Share
6 people like this.

Hippie Lou thanks for turning me on to this. do you have it on pdf by chance?
Like · Reply · September 11 at 1:26pm

No pdf, sadly unsure emoticon I checked out one of the Uni's hard copies. I'm thinking of buying one myself though. The end notes are really rich for some references, including a book in German about English Coffeehouses of the 18th and 19th-centuries. Reminds me of our talks at Kava smile emoticon
Like · Reply · September 11 at 2:24pm
Hide 15 Replies

Hippie Lou my understanding is back then the coffeehouse was the public sphere smile emoticon
Like · Reply · September 11 at 2:25pm

That's something Habermas highlights. But he keeps drawing from a particular text: Englische Kaffeehäuser als Sammelpunkte der literarischen Welt im Zeitalter von Dryden und Addison
See Translation
Like · Reply · September 11 at 2:28pm

I understand the gist of the title now after learning some Danish--though, I'm sadly not as good at that yet as I really should be. I imagine learning German wouldn't be so hard after this. It's so rich with overlapping vocabulary.
Like · Reply · September 11 at 2:30pm

Hippie Lou English coffeehouses as a rescue of the literary world in the era of Dryden and Addison?
Like · Reply · September 11 at 2:34pm

That's what GT says, but "sammelpunkte" on its own comes out as collections...which is closer to what I would have guessed. But not knowing German, I wouldn't know which direction it really leans in. It's easy to see how collections and rescue can overlap in that rough context.
Like · Reply · September 11 at 2:36pm

It's just nice seeing the scattered German words in parentheses in the text and being able to decipher the gist from the similarity of Danish terms.
Like · Reply · September 11 at 2:37pm

Hippie Lou i like rescue...just had an aha moment! name a coffeehouse public sphere. no laptops! perhaps a metaphorical "rescue" of society could be incubated at such a place.
Like · Reply · September 11 at 2:41pm

I think the laptop thing is interesting. People can still spark up a conversation over a computer. And computers are powerful tools for information's representation and discussion. I think it's just a matter of roping the thoughtful people into that loop (still one of my ambitions). In ten years, it won't be an issue anyway.
Like · Reply · 1 · September 11 at 2:46pm

Hippie Lou never saw someone speaking to you at kava while working on a laptop. or me for that matter. smile emoticon
Like · Reply · September 11 at 2:48pm

Hippie Lou and what loop are you referring to (with regards to roping the thoughtful people into)?
Like · Reply · September 11 at 2:49pm

Not at Kava, but at other shops, I've seen it at different places. It helps if you see other people programming and chat them up about what they're working on. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. That could easily be the case if computers were better translated to how non-programmers work.
Like · Reply · September 11 at 2:50pm

Hippie Lou fyi - i often followed up our discussions with extensive use of a laptop...to look up and read about the ideas/references we discussed. so i think it is a good complement. but in the coffee shop i feel it attenuates interaction and human connection.
Like · Reply · September 11 at 2:51pm

It could be looked into more. In Paris I was surprised how many analog readers and writers I saw at cafes. It was lovely.
Like · Reply · September 11 at 2:53pm

Hippie Lou it's so funny...at the coffee shop i'm at now the three baristas i am closest to all regularly travel to paris. and they feel more at home there, i think.
Like · Reply · September 11 at 2:55pm

It would be interesting to see some survey numbers depicting trends on that. I've seen cognitive load comparisons for digital/analog tasks that reported less load for analog tasks, which, if still true today and further, if that remains true in 10, 20, 30 years, it could mean more conscious resources poured into the task at hand. I've been surprised to notice how much more easily it is to write on a computer now that I program. I don't think I would have the same approach to writing if I didn't learn the process analog first.