Monday, August 28, 2017

i believe in the values behind freeganism (living in a way that's money free): cooperation, mutual aid, etc.

hello hippie lou,

thanks so much for coming out to see me today. i was glad to catch up with you. thank you for getting me the matcha lemonade today, too.

i'm writing to let you know that i actually feel quite discouraged after our conversation today about resisting capitalism. it's an idea that i'm drawn to, because i believe in the values behind freeganism (living in a way that's money free): cooperation, mutual aid, etc.

at the same time, i feel more helpless that the world is so dependent on capitalism. on the bus ride home, i feel like, in some ways, i'm not cut out for life because i'm discouraged / hesitant about my ability to make money and get out of debt.

on a separate note, i also wanted to tell you that i had a hard time interacting with you today, since you took most of the time talking, and i spent a majority of the time listening, even though i had a lot to say. i felt like i had to fight for airtime, and that i had to interrupt you in order to get my thoughts across, because you talked without stopping. i'm wondering, how can i have a chance to speak without interrupting you?

because of that, i didn't have a chance to tell you that i looked into filing for personal bankruptcy as a way to get debt free, but bankruptcy won't lead to that for me. that's because even if i filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy, i'll still have to pay back my student loans. it's unfortunate that, as a high school senior, i blindly believed what my father said, that he wanted to & could send me to "the best private school possible". but he played himself and screwed me over, since he owes $60K in education loans and i owe $30K. in essence, he and my mother sent me to a college that they couldn't afford to send me to. paying that debt down will be one of the biggest fights of my life.

best,